TrawsCymru Weekend Free Travel Initiative
Frequently Asked Questions
Why are we doing this?
- This is a Welsh Government funded initiative;
- The aim of the trial is to:-
- Publicise the TrawsCymru network;
- Encourage more people to use TrawsCymru services; and
- Help support rural economies across Wales.
When does the initiative start?
Which days are included?
- Every Saturday and Sunday until further notice.
Are Bank Holidays Included?
- No - Bank Holidays are not included in the scheme.
Which TrawsCymru services are included in the initiative?
- TrawsCymru T1 service (Aberystwyth – Aberaeron – Carmarthen);
- TrawsCymru T1C service (Aberystwyth – Lampeter – Carmarthen – Swansea – Cardiff);
- TrawsCymru T2 service (Aberystwyth – Dolgellau – Porthmadog – Bangor);
- TrawsCymru T3 service (Wrexham – Llangollen – Dolgellau – Barmouth);
- TrawsCymru T4 service (Newtown – Brecon – Merthyr Tydfil – Cardiff)
- TrawsCymru T5 service (Aberystwyth – Aberaeron – New Quay – Cardigan – Fishguard – Haverfordwest);
- TrawsCymru T6 service (Brecon – Ystradgynlais – Neath – Swansea);
- TrawsCymru T14 service (Cardiff - Merthyr Tydfil - Brecon - Hay on Wye - Hereford);
- TrawsCymru T11 services (Machynlleth - Newtown - Welshpool - Oswestry); and
- Cardiff Airport Express T9 service.
Are any other bus services included in the initiative?
I have purchased a weekly ticket; can I claim a refund for weekends?
TrawsCymru services are likely to be busier than normal on weekends; will I be guaranteed a seat?
- No, TrawsCymru bus services are registered public bus services, so the free travel offer is subject to availability. We have made arrangements to deploy additional buses to provide more seats across the network for passengers. We will do our very best to carry everyone who needs to travel, but ultimately our ability to meet this will depend upon seating availability on buses.
Can I book a seat in advance?
- No. It is not possible to book a seat in advance for travel on TrawsCymru.
I have a valid Welsh Concessionary Travel pass; will I still need to show this to the driver when boarding the bus?
- Yes you will still need to show your pass to the driver.
Will I be issued with a ticket?
- On the days of the initiative, the driver will not be required to issue you with a ticket. The driver will record you as having boarded the bus on the ticket machine.
Can I travel for free on the T4 service in Cardiff?
- The T4 service will only stop to set down passengers on southbound journeys between the M4 and Cardiff City Centre. The T4 will only stop to pick up passengers between Cardiff City Centre and the M4 on northbound journeys on the days of the promotion. X4 journeys are not effected by these revised arrangements.
Can I travel on other bus companies services for free?
- The promotion is restricted to Welsh Government recognised TrawsCymru® bus services (T1, T1C, T2, T3, T4, T5, T6 and T9).
Is the Bwcabus service included in the initiative?